So on Instagram a few weeks ago I posted on my story and asked y’all what you wanted me to blog about. I got a lot of responses for dating in college and that y’all wanted relatable topics. I was so excited to write this post but also a little bit nervous just because it is very personal to me. However, when I started my blog I wanted it to be something where girls could come to for advice whether it was about fashion or just life in general. This post will be about my dating experience in college so far and also some tips that I have learned so far!
If you don’t already know, I am a freshman here at Texas Tech University and I am at the end of my second semester here. I have been loving my experience but my first semester did not go as well as this semester is going. When I came to Tech, I came with my boyfriend of 2 years. I know what y’all are thinking, “you went to college with your boyfriend?!” I know, I know but, he loved the school and I loved the education program so it was a win win for both of us. Well, the first week I moved in to college I went through sorority recruitment (I will have a post for this in the fall) and it was a chaotic week for me. I barley saw my boyfriend because we were both doing different things. Side note, going into college I definitely thought that since we had been dating for 2 years, that we were just going to end up together in the end. Boy was I wrong. So after the first few weeks things just kind of started to go down hill between us. I joined a sorority and he joined a fraternity and his priorities started to change. After my sorority retreat and the first week of school, he broke up with me. It was very hard, he gave me no explanation except that he didn’t have time for me and that. sucked. For weeks we went back and forth on breaking up and getting back together. It was very hard to sort my feelings out about him. After weeks of sorting it out, I decided that I deserved to be treated better and I dumped him for good. MEANWHILE, my current boyfriend now (if you want to know how we met, click here) we were friends and he went to the library with me every night to help me with “homework” a.k.a I talked his ear off all night about my relationship issues. After we broke up Nicc and I started going out and we started dating in November and its been SO GREAT since then!!
Okay, so what can I take from this experience?
My dating experience in the beginning did not go the way I planned (obvi. because God is in control not me, i’m still working on that LOL) buuut I have learned many things that I want to share with y’all.
- Don’t Bring A Relationship With You To College: Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, I heard this A TON after I graduated high school. My opinion on this is do what YOU want! Being honest, being in a relationship when you start college is hard, I won’t sugar coat it but, if you both talk about it before moving to school, it could work out for y’all. However, some of the cons of having a boyfriend when you start college is that you might feel held back to make friends and hangout with them and you might miss the fun things in the beginning of college (after my ex boyfriend and I broke up, I was able to hangout with my sorority sisters more and now they will be my roomies next year and my roommate and I bonded over our relationship problems which made us besties right off the bat).
- Is Dating Hard In College?: I wouldn’t say it’s necessarily hard, it’s just different. In high school my ex boyfriend went to a different school then me so I would see him on the weekends and occasionally during the week for dinner. In college I can see Nicc at 8am or 12pm or I could not see him for a whole day, it really just depends on our schedules. I do enjoy dating in college because you get to experience so many new things with that person whether it’s crying over your major because you’re stressed and don’t know if it’s the one you want to study or if it’s attending your first football game, all exciting things that you experience in college!
- I Will Stay The Same Person In College And Have The Same Taste In Guys: Y’ALL, this is one thing that soooooo many people told me before college and I just totally ignored them. Coming into college, I definitely thought I wouldn’t change. Ooof, I was wrong y’all and what I wanted in a guy definitely changed. After my breakup, I realized that I wanted a guy who was going to be there for me and generally cared about me and loved being around me and wanted to hangout with me and wanted to support me and etc. and Nicc is all that and more!! If you know Nicc and I, then you know we were friends before college and I never thought I would date him but my taste in guys changed because I changed and I have never been so happy. So my advice, have an open mind. You never know who will come along and change your world!
- What Do You Do For Dates: I like this question because honestly it changes all the time. Some days it’s going to the library to work on homework (more like Nicc helping me with my education math homework lol) or it could be watching a Netflix show/ movie or it could dressing up for my sorority events or his fraternity events. It really just depends on the day but that’s how college is, you learn to go with the flow (also, anything super cheap is a good date in college).
- Do You Miss Out On Things Because You Have A Boyfriend: I have never been someone who thinks that dating doesn’t allow you to be your own person and do your own thing. I do my things that I want to do like going to events or hanging out with my girlfriends and Nicc does his things. I love having Nicc here to hangout with and experience things with me but we also have things that we can enjoy by ourselves. Nicc and I didn’t start dating until November, so I had some time before we started dating where it was just me and I could make friends and hangout with them whenever. I think this helped me for when I started dating Nicc because I had already made friends so in the beginning I could really focus on our relationship. So my answer to that question is no I don’t miss out on things because I mostly do them with Nicc or my sorority sisters/ roommate.
I hope y’all enjoyed this post and I hope it answered some of y’alls questions! Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram @southernremixfashion and don’t ever hesitate to comment any questions y’all have about college life!